Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Sins with Since

I was interviewing a candidate for a position in my team the other day, and here's an excerpt from the conversation:
Me : "How long have you been in this industry for?"
X: "I've been in the industry since four years."
Me (note to self - verify if this usage is correct, I've heard it too many times in the recent past) : Hmmm, OK.

The problem was that I'd heard this usage "since 4 years" or "since a long time" several times from people whom I usually highly respect for their linguistic skills. I was really in doubt, and I went back to some very trustworthy sources (not Wren and Martin, unfortunately, because I can't seem to find the copy that's been handed down three generations in the mess that's my study).

"Since" - denotes a point in time
"For" - denotes a period of time.

So, he could have answered this question in one of these ways :

"I've been in this industry since June 2007."
"I've been in this industry for four years."

So you see what I mean?

No comments:

Post a Comment